Florida to Home Road Trip Day 2

our selections after taste testing
Photo-A-Day 2.0 #01458

On our second day of road tripping back from Florida we got up and on the road around 6am. We were going to go to Richmond and have breakfast with one of Allison’s friends but she wasn’t feeling well and wouldn’t be getting up early enough to meet us. So, we went to Richmond and turned left across the state of Virginia toward Route 81 in Pennsylvania. We did have some time in the morning for a few shenanigans with the broken pullout couch.

broken pullout couch

I discovered a missing spring and nearly fell through the thing while I was putting on my shoes. Andy went fully through it because he’s Andy.

ihop breakfast

We were trying to make it to another Cracker Barrel close to 81 but nature called sooner than that so we pulled off and went to an IHOP about 30 minutes from the Cracker Barrel. The kids had never been to an IHOP before and they enjoyed the various syrups that they could have on their pancakes.

At Route 11 potato chips

We went 81 to cut out route 95 in Washington and Maryland. It added more time to our trip but we made the most of it by making a few stops along the way. Our first stop after breakfast was to Route 11 Potato Chips. There we taste tested several of their chips and decided to buy a couple of bags, a sticker and some jewelry made form potato chip bags.

stopping by chocolate world

After our stop at the Potato Chip factory we got back on the road and headed to Hershey, PA to stop by Chocolate World. Wow, it was much bigger than I remember it from stopping there when I used to drive with Allison down to her college. As we made our way there we passed by the town where her good friend from college lives. Later we found out that they were also at Hershey that day. It would have been crazy had we run into them.

enormous pretzel at Hershey

We picked up a few things while at Hersey and split an enormous pretzel. It came with three dipping sauces, cheese, chocolate ganache and a honey mustard made with heath bar. Each dip was very good. I liked the heath bar honey mustard the most.

rest time

We got on the road for the last leg home. I drove until we got to 95 in Connecticut so that we could stop at one of the rest stations there. The kids were fading and they each took little rests during this leg of the trip. I was wide awake through the whole days drive which surprised me a bit.

over the tappan ze bridge

Getting close to 7pm my dad called and asked where we were and I said just getting into New York and he said that we’d be going over the Tappan Zee Bridge soon. I hadn’t realized that we were going over any bridges through New York but sure enough once we got off the phone we went over the bridge.

dinner in Connecticut

We made it to the first rest stop on 95 in Connecticut and got dinner. We also picked up some lottery tickets for the state of Connecticut. We were in the home stretch now.

I drove on until we got to the T.F. Greene airport. There I got out and got Allison’s care out of the garage and drove that home. I had no desire to wait and do that the next day since the side trip was a stop along our way.

finally home

Allison got home before me and when I arrived I brought everything into the house that was still in the car. The kids got ready and went right to bed. I finished up a few things and right before getting to bed I used the upstairs bathroom. when I flushed the toilet water sprayed out between the tank and the bowl. I hurried for towels to clean everything up. Wasn’t the greatest welcome home but we were home none the less.