Riding Around in My Automobile

On Sunday Allison and I left Great Diamond Island. We had a lot of fun there but it was time to head home. I slept late while Allison read a book on the porch. Then we had some tasty donuts from a place called the Cookie Jar. Thea picked them up while we were in Portland on Saturday. At 9:40 the small bus that runs between the two docks on the island picked us up. There are two docks: The Diamond Cove dock that we could walk to and the Great Diamond dock that was one the other side of the locked gate. You see, on the island there was some spat over golf carts from the Diamond Cove being parked on the Great Diamond side and how unsightly they were. This started the Golf Cart Wars and this occurred about two years ago. Now the folks on each side of the island have separate stickers for their carts; as well as two locked gates separating the two sides of the island. It is all wound a bit too tight for my liking.

Elise and Charles were leaving today as well so the four of us took the ferry over to Portland and we said our goodbyes. After Elise and Charles left, Allison and I went to a little souvenir shop to pick up some dice games. They did not have Farkle but they did have Left Right Center, Moose Spotting and Two Lobster Catch and On The Rocks.

This is what I should have bought the day before. Actually we should have picked these up on Friday so we could have some travel games to play Friday night. But we have them now.

We headed down to York, Maine to meet up with our friend Maureen (She writes the We’re In A Fight blog) and her sister Peggy. Maureen and Peggy took us to lunch at Lobster Cove. Allison and I split a fisherman’s platter and it was very tasty. We then drove up Long Sands Beach and back to Mo’s house. Then her father, John, took us on a ride in his 1952 Chevy. It is black and named Josephine after the woman he bought the car from. It fits. We drove down to the beach and cruised along the strip. I kept taking pictures of the beach and the water when we were stopped and I had an opening between the cars. Because I was looking in the viewfinder I didn’t see anything beyond what the lens saw. So one time I took a shot and a second after I clicked the picture three 16 year-old girls walked by. Both Mo and her dad razzed me about taking pictures of 16 year-olds through the rest of the ride. They’d be like, “Drewbie there is another young girl, where is your camera,” or “oh what about that one, she’s too old huh?” I have no idea where Mo got her sense of humor, yeah right. We even went up to Nubble Lighthouse. It was a lot of fun but over all too quickly and we were back on the road. Then back to Manchester to pick up my computer and Allison’s car. We visited a bit with Marcia and then off again for home.

Once we got home I helped my sister download some pictures that she took this weekend at a fair in Walpole, NH as well as some videos. Allison ended up staying in NH for an additional 40 minutes. When she came home, we were off again and this time we headed to see my cousin, Carissa, and her boyfriend, Chris, before they left for their 2 week cross country trip.

For some reason we always need a vacation after our vacations. And this week is not going to get any quieter. You may notice a theme with the Photo-A-Day This week.